The manner in which students dress for school influences personal behavior and learning. Violations of dress standards may result in disciplinary consequences. Students may be asked to remove an item or change into dress code shorts/t-shirt (provided by the school) or their PE clothes.
TVUSD Board Policy states that a student’s dress must not be a distraction that would interfere with the educational process. The School Dress Code is in effect when students attend any school sponsored event. Refer to Board Policy BP 5132 and AR 5132 on district website.
- Acceptable length for dresses, shorts, skorts, and skirts is MID-THIGH or longer.
- Clothes shall be sufficient to conceal undergarments at all times. Straps on the shoulders shall meet a minimum standard of two inches. No spaghetti straps, tube or halter tops, strapless tops, backless tops, backless with tie tops, off-the-shoulder or low-cut tops, or tops of see-through or fishnet fabric shall be allowed.
- Baseball style and hats with brims are the ONLY type of hats allowed. They may be worn outdoors during P.E., lunch, and break. Hats may not be worn indoors at any time during the school day and may not be altered. Hats must be worn facing forward.
- No hoods, beanies/knit caps allowed may be worn.
- Sagging is not allowed & underwear must not show.
- No scarves, bandannas, sweatbands or hairnets may be worn at any time.
- Facial adornment caused by piercing and/or body piercing is discouraged. Any jewelry that poses a safety hazard or a disruption may not be worn.
- No tattoos or writing on hands, arms, etc. allowed.
- Hair shall be clean and styled in a manner that does not cause a disruption.
- Sunglasses may be worn to protect the eyes only when students are outdoors during P.E., lunch, and break. They may not be worn indoors at any time during the school day. No “fake” glasses allowed.
- Shoes must be worn at all times. Sandals must have back-straps. Flip-flops and steel-toed shoes are not allowed.
- No wallet chains or hanging/loose belts allowed.
- No clothing that creates a threatening or intimidating atmosphere.
- No clothing with writing, pictures, etc. that are crude, vulgar, profane, sexually suggestive, or relate to drugs, alcohol, tobacco or violence.
- No clothing with racial, ethnic or religious prejudice.
- No spiked or studded projections.
- Clothing must have NO writing: it cannot be torn, full of holes, and/or shredded.